Google

Friday, December 15, 2006

Top Chef

Right now I'd have to say that my favorite reality show is Top Chef, on Bravo. While I still watch the classics, Survivor and The Amazing Race (yes, I know it's oxymoronic to use the word "classics" in discussing reality television), I like the "newness" of this show. It does, however, follow the classic reality TV show format of collecting a cast of unusual characters to showcase (more so than the food being cooked is showcased). Let's see, there's "Ugly" Betty -- one minute she's smiling and gregarious, the next minute she's a shrill harpy. She's got a big fake smile, and she's a nodder, (You know what I mean; she's the type of person who nods nonestop in agreement while someone is talking to her, but you can tell she's not listening at all). Then there's Betty's arch-enemy, Marcel, the egotistical, socially inept young guy. We also have Sam, who alledgedly is the young stud chef. Personally, I think it's unappetizing to see a chef with five o'clock shadow and greasy hair. My favorites include Elia, a Mexican/Lebanese woman with a French-sounding accent (she likes to cook feeesh!) and Cliff (or as Elia would say, Cleeef!).

No comments: